Categories
Uncategorized

YEAR IN REVIEW: Over 200 glass recycling crates rejected on day one of Tauranga kerbside service

Bay of Plenty Times Year In Review takes a look back at 2018 and republishes some of the top stories of the year. This one was originally published in October and was one of the most-read stories on bayofplentytimes.co.nz.

An estimated 200 glass recycling crates were rejected, most for being too full, as Tauranga City Council’s new kerbside collection service started today.

Mount Maunganui and Omanu were the first suburbs to be visited by the Smart Environmental trucks contracted to provide the rates-funded service.

NZME saw dozens of crates left full and affixed with yellow stickers denoting the reason for rejection.

A council spokeswoman said contractors estimated about five per cent of crates were rejected, mostly for being overfilled or containing unaccepted materials.

She said crates should not be filled past the top edge as the bottles and jars could “easily’ fall out when lifted and smash, causing a hazard for collectors and footpath or road users.

An estimated 85 per cent of the crates delivered to the 4300 residences in the area were put out on the kerbside for collection, demonstrating a keen uptake of the service, she said.

Uncollected glass recycling bin due to overfill on Oceanbeach Rd, Mount Maunganui. Photo/George Novak
Uncollected glass recycling bin due to overfill on Oceanbeach Rd, Mount Maunganui. Photo/George Novak

NZME

spotted some rejected crates with precarious mounds contained only by a ‘fence’ of bottles around the rim, but others were filled only a centimetre or two above the rim.

The rejections generated hundreds of comments on social media.

Some people said the hard-line strategy would just cause people to throw their glass in the bin instead.

Related articles:

Kerbside glass collection service starting Monday

Armed police operation in Mount Maunganui

Car and motorbike collide at Mount

De Mooij over the moon at NZ selection

2 Oct, 2018 1:00pm 3 minutes to read

Others complained the bins were too small and poorly shaped with tapered sides that made it harder to keep bottles contained.

Some pointed out that the rules were clear in the information the council put out pre-collection.

One observer on the Mount Maunganui Notice Board Facebook page said the crates allowed for “one beer per day and one bottle of wine per week and a jar of pickled onions.”

Another posted contact information for Alcoholics Anonymous.

Mount Maunganui/Papamoa ward councillor Steve Morris said he “appreciated the enthusiasm” of the over-fillers.

“It’s a new service so it’ll take time for people to get used to how it works.

“The first one was always going to be a big one and people have been saving up recycling since the crates were delivered last month.”

He said people could get a second crate for an additional $26 a year or 50c a week.

“Some people don’t want one, others want bigger ones. Hopefully, we’ve got the right size for most people.”

The fortnightly service will continue to be rolled out through the city this week, with Papamoa due for a visit tomorrow.

Readers’ comments

Shaaz Hussain

Mine got picked up. I followed the rules to the T. It’s not that hard

Margaret Calkin Make it hard and people will stop recycling and it will all go in the general rubbish.

Karlie Morrow I think they could have been lenient on their rules for the first pick-up, left their little yellow sticker and mentioned the fact the bins wouldn’t be picked up in future.

Lynn Forde We are paying for this service, unasked for. Too many rules, cannot put it out if there are not enough bottles, same if there are too many

Paul McKerrow It’s great to have another glass bin for our glass run to the recycling centre.

– Source: Bay of Plenty Times Facebook page

NZ Herald

Categories
Uncategorized

Auckland cycleways overestimated demand to obtain taxpayer funding, says Auckland Transport report

Auckland Transport may have used exaggerated figures to receive taxpayer dollars for four cycleways in the city, says an internal AT report.

“The cycle demand was overestimated in all the four business cases” for the Quay St, Nelson St, Grafton Gully and Beach Rd cycleways, says an AT report, obtained by the Herald.

The City Centre Cycle Network: Post Implementation Review report looked at the number of cyclist figures used in the business cases to receive funding from the Government’s Urban Cycleways Programme against the actual performance.

The reality is that we are developing a whole-of-city network

Two projects – Nelson St and Grafton Gully – went over budget, performed worse than expected and may not have been economically viable, said the report.

The business case for Nelson St predicted 986 cyclists would use the cycleway daily, but in January last year the count was 333 when the report was written. The latest figures from AT at the end of September this year show 448 cyclists a day using the cycleway.

The divergence between the forecast and actual figures for Grafton Gully were also significant, said the report. The business case forecast 975 cyclists and the January 2017 count was 292.

In the case of Nelson St, the AT report said a 647 figure for cycle trips on Nelson St pre-cycleway came from an “unknown report” and the consultants doing the business case, Beca, “commented the estimate was very high, but ultimately stuck with this estimate”.

A Beca spokeswoman said the 647 figure was provided to Beca to enter into the economic analysis, saying “the use was agreed with our client, Auckland Transport”. She did not say who provided the figure.

The Quay St and Beach Rd cycleways did not have such a big difference between forecast and actual numbers, and Quay St now has more cyclists than forecast in the business case.

The report said possible reasons for the differences included exaggerated data to improve the business cases to give a favourable cost-benefit analysis, inappropriate forecast methodology, cycleways not being up to standard and people not being aware of the facilities.

Auckland motorists to lose central traffic lane for cycleway

Bizarre moment car drives through Auckland cycleway

19 Jul, 2018 8:45am 3 minutes to read

Cycling demand was not living up to expectations, said the report, but noted the CBD cycle network was still to be completed.

Kathryn King, Auckland Transport walking, cycling and road safety manager. Photo / Supplied
Kathryn King, Auckland Transport walking, cycling and road safety manager. Photo / Supplied

AT walking, cycling and road safety manager Kathryn King said the report was a “work in progress” document that was never finalised, although the issues it raised had been followed up to improve business processes for the 2018-2021 cycling programme.

She said traffic modelling for the first tranche of cycling projects arrived at cycling numbers that seemed too high in the early years when compared with actual cycle counts.

King said most cycle projects require estimates for a 40-year investment using variables that can be hard to predict into the future.

“We have also observed that as additional parts of the central city network have been completed, we have experienced additional increases. The reality is that we are developing a whole-of-city network,” said King.

Latest figures show 281,000 cycle movements were recorded in September 2018, an increase of 15.5 per cent when compared to September 2017.

When it comes to the 2018-2021 cycling programme, analysis will need to consider both actual and modelled results and explain any differences, she said.

The Grafton Gully Cycleway in Auckland.
The Grafton Gully Cycleway in Auckland.

The New Zealand Transport Agency, which approves taxpayer funding toward council cycleways, said it had not seen the AT report and cannot comment on it.

It provided the Herald with a review of the Urban Cycleways Programme completed in September this year.

“In undertaking this review, the audit and assurance team was informed that Auckland Transport forecast cyclist user numbers were based on cyclist user estimates forecast in 2026,” a spokesman said.

The review of 54 urban cycling projects nationwide said the way cyclist numbers were estimated were considered “acceptable and robust”, including estimating numbers at a future date.

The review said the cost of cycling projects went over budget by 15 per cent on average, saying Auckland’s Lightpath and Nelson St cycleway project shot 71 per cent over budget, from $9.76 million to $16.67m.

Cycleway figures

Quay St:

Business Case forecast: 1060

Count January 2017: 689

Count September 2018: 1111

Nelson St:
Business Case forecast: 986
Count January 2017: 333
Count September 2018: 448


Grafton Gully:
Business Case forecast: 975
Count January 2017: 292
Count September 2018: 375

Beach Rd:
Business Case forecast: 443
Count January 2017: 265
Count September 2018: 318

– The business case and January counts were part of the AT report. The latest counts were provided by AT to the Herald.

NZ herald