Furnitures are hard and heavy to move without taking the help of professionals. You will have to prepare your furniture and other big appliances well so that you can protect them against damages. This will also make the furniture carrying easier. So whether you are hiring professional movers or rolling up your sleeves to do it yourself, here are some steps to follow so that you can protect your furniture well.
Gather up your Packing Supplies
You might have seen how in movies the only things one needs to gather to get packing done are some cardboard boxes, some packing tape and you are all set to go. Reality works different and while having cardboard boxes and packing tape is a necessity, but investing in some more supplies like bubble wrap, blankets, corrugated cardboard sheets, plastic stretch wrap, mattress and sofa covers and sealable plastic bags.
Prep your Furniture
Before you pack up any of your items, take the time to dust off the items, especially the glass items. This is because debris and dust can scratch hard surfaces during the process of moving. Cleaning also has the additional benefit of ensuring that grime from your old place won’t move into the new one. Apart from this:
- Make sure to remove all types
of casters, knobs and pulls from your furniture. Alsopull all the drawers out of your desk and dressers put them aside to pack other items within them. This will give you more storage space to safely stored little items whole simultaneously freeing up the heavy furniture.
- If possible then try to dismantle you furniture fully. Remove all possible legs from the couches and tables, remove the cushions, take the bed frame apart and such. This will make the finger easy to carry and will prevent it from brushing up against doors or walls.
- Opt for sealable plastics to keep the screws in along with other hardware pieces for each such piece of furniture. Remember to take the bag well.
Figure out how to arrange truck space
- You should begin by making a wall of boxes to stand all over across the back of the vehicle. Make sure that boxes you are using for stacking are of the same size and are tightly sealed. The heaviest boxes go down but they shouldn’t have fragile items in them.
- Now move in square furniture like desks and dressers. Place them up directly against the box wall as it will act as cushion. Don’t forget to use corrugated cardboard and packing blankets in between the pieces.
- You can use the dresser tops to place more boxes, just ensure that the boxes you are putting on top are not just tightly packed but lightweight as well.
- Now comes the mattresses. Put them on the floor, on top of a blanket to percent dirt getting on them.
Where to find furniture movers?
Following the above steps will ensure that you are fully prepared for the move.